On Fri, Mar 06, 2020 at 08:49:38AM +0100, Landry Breuil wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 05, 2020 at 10:12:41PM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:

> > > but it works, been able to build tortoisehg with it, and now building
> > > qgis.
> > >
> > > on a sidenote we can see that QtWebEngine disappeared from py-qt5 port,
> > > its now in
> > > https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/software/pyqtwebengine/download
> > >

> > grepping, the py-qt5 ports that reference webengine are:
>
> what kind of grepping, source code or requirements in setup.py ?
>
> > git-cola
> > spyder
> > qgis
> > qutebrowser (marked BROKEN)
> >
> > ... and spyder has a specific version dependency:
> >
> > x11/py-qt5${MODPY_FLAVOR}<5.12
>
> i guess this is related to
> https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/issues/8748 and
> https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder/issues/8747, an update will
> probably loosen this requirement..
>
> > sigh, does this thing ever end? :)
>
> well, that seems to be the case for every qt upgrade, a complete
> ecosystem that needs to be updated altogether. But i think we're slowly
> getting there.. now i'm ccing the ppl who use/maintain those pyqt5 apps,
> at that point it has to be a collective effort for testing. I guess i'll
> do a quick port for pyqtwebengine, unless rafael already has one ?

after actually looking at it, i think we'll be fine without a
pyqtwebengine port, and anyway we dont have qtwebengine. So far, my
understanding is that py-qt5 5.9 only ships some .sip files for
qtwebengine bindings and no actual lib, so the potential consumers might
not actually use it (and might only need to be told "dont look for
it"..).

git-cola bundles a copy of qtpy which is where the qtwebengine bits are
looked for (from my understanding) .. and spyder imports
QtWebEngineWidgets from qtpy too. I really think we're fine.

(if ppl want to do some runtime testing to save the time i'm putting pkgs on
https://packages.rhaalovely.net/wip/amd64/)

completely unrelated, but i wonder if we could move the spyder port to
py3 only to reduce the whack-a-mole needed for testing.

Landry