On Sun, Sep 06, 2020 at 08:45:32PM -0400, Aisha Tammy wrote:
> Hi,
> I've noticed that the sphinx in ports is *really*
> old and hasn't been updated for quite sometime.

> I understand that its got a huge amount of reverse dependencies
> and can't just be updated at will, but I was wondering if it might
> be possible to add something like py-sphinx3 which is a different
> package and then is possible start shifting packages?

> I am trying to see if I should do this if there's any interest or if
> people would prefer to do it some different way?
> Quite some packages would be upgradable if sphinx is updated.

Others have weighed in. I did send out an update to a version that
still had python 2.x support. The question was raised if we needed to
do that though. It has been suspected that most/all just use the binary
to generate documentation rather than using the libraries (which would
still potentially require the python2 version). I got distracted onto
other things and have been busy otherwise. If you want to investigate
that, it would be great.

--Kurt