On Sat, 19 Sep 2020 14:22:51 -0400
Kurt Mosiejczuk <k...@cranky.work>:

> On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 08:00:41PM +0200, Solène Rapenne wrote:
>
> > > Remove it?
>
> > Why remove it? Because it's python2? Do we have a python2 expiration
> > policy? (I see others OS have a deadline for python2 removal, maybe
> > we should do the same)
>
> It's python2.

Did someone ask to kill all python2 ports?

> It's not available from its author, only from our mirror of the distfile
> on ftp.openbsd.

I think we have a lot of cases like this.

> It parses packets and hasn't been updated.

But it works "offline" so I don't see the issue.

> > If it works and that we don't have alternative in ports I think
> > we should keep it.
>
> If folks *use* it, I'm ok with keeping it. However, it was imported more
> than 11 years ago and hasn't been updated. It's homepage advises others to
> use a different project. The source file isn't available.
>
> Honestly, the more I investigate this, the *less* I'd like it to stay.
>
> > There is a python3 pcapdiff at https://github.com/isginf/pcap-diff
> > I don't know if it's a fork of net/pcapdiff though.
>
> Someone could do a port of that.
>
> --Kurt

I don't really care about the port itself, but I think we need to
define a clear policy about python2 removal crusade.

I get that python2 is end of life. We have lot of python2 ports that
are python2 only. Do we remove python2 in X months/year and projects
that still use python2 will have to be deleted? Do we try to delete
every port requiring python2 ? At which cost?

If we agree that python2 must disappear for 6.9 release, I would
understand the choice of deleting python2 ports.

I am always ok to delete ports that are broken or network related
and abandoned for safety reasons. But if a port works and doesn't
seem to be a security risk to run I don't see strong reasons to
remove it.