Speaking of alt-country types with steel players, Collier's added a new
pedal steel guy to his band (no, I don't remember his name), and rather
than bein' an atmospheric afterthought, he's an integral part of Collier's
ever-more-twangy sound.  Gerald's writin' *shuffle tunes* now f'r
chrissakes, and they're damn good ones.  He played Saturday night at the
Crocodile on a bill with the Gully Jumpers and the Supersuckers.

The Gully Jumpers are a bluegrass outfit fronted by a guy from Zeke (I
kid you not).  Anyway, the Zeke fella (I don't remember his name either --
that's what happens when you hang with boozers) is in need of a much
better supporting cast -- the old hippie geezers on mandolin and banjo
would have a hard time keeping up with Jerry Garcia, let alone some
bluegrassers with chops.  Still, the Zeke fella's heart is obviously in
the right place (I really enjoyed hearin' him sing "Ashes Of Love"), and I
wouldn't be surprised if he makes some waves with his bluegrass thing in
the future.

As for the Supersuckers, they went totally country for this show (with
Gerald's pedal steel guy sittin' in), and I gotta say their twangy stuff
is a helluva lot more enjoyable than their usual jokey, somewhat shallow
garage-punk.  Their country stuff may also not be terribly deep, but it
often hits the emotional mark, while also bein' loads of fun.

Collier was the star of this show though -- despite bein' sandwiched in
the middle of it.  I don't believe he played *any* songs from his two
albums.  All new songs, with a handful of well-chosen covers (Jones,
Frizzell, Pierce, Walker/Owens -- a killer version of "Close All The Honky
Tonks").  Collier's new stuff still isn't exactly hardcore honky tonk,
despite the presence of a coupla shuffles.  In fact, you could imagine a
close proximity of his new sound by de-emphasizing the electric guitar on
last year's fine self-titled album, and intensifying the country elements.
Lyrically, his songs can still be a bit callow at times, but Gerald's true
songwriting gift is his mastery of melody and the pop hook.  That's still
definitely there, but now it's been given a more hard country re-casting.
Needless to say, I couldn't be happier.

BTW, Seattle P2ers, he's opening for James McMurtry this Friday at the
Tractor.  I imagine the more discerning among ye will be there (excluding
of course that hopeless Scott McCaughey suckup Jim Cox).  And don't forget
this Thursday -- Hot Club of Cowtown at the Tractor (and earlier that
night makin' a live appearance on Swingin' Doors).  And while I'm pluggin'
shows, there's a cool double-header we're plannin' on makin' this Saturday
-- Christy McWilson (of the Picketts), Jake London and others at the
Elysian, and then Edith Frost across the street at the Breakroom.  If you
haven't seen Jake yet, you really oughta.  The man also has a gift for
melody and the pop hook, and not counting Cox's ukelele act, he's easily
Seattle's most musically talented P2er.  Seriously, Jake can write a good
tune, and he knows how to put it across.  Check him out and see for
yourself.--don