On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Don Yates wrote:

> Soul Disguise
> is a solid album, but it ain't nearly as good as Colossal Head.  There's a
> coupla generic roots rockers (the cliched heartland rocker that kicks off
> the album almost makes me cringe), but overall, I'd give it a mild
> thumbs-up.  It's definitely better than your average bar-band outing, but
> this ain't in the same league with And A Time To Dance or How Will The
> Wolf Survive -- let alone heady stuff like Kiko or Colossal Head.--don

        Haven't heard Soul Disguise yet so I can't really comment either
way, but I do know that the last Los Lobos record, Colossal Head, left me
kind of cold. While I can appreciate some the experimentation and longer
song forms the band has been utilizing for awhile now, it's doesn't do as
much for me as How Will The Wolf Survive or even the best songs off of
By The Light Of The Moon. Kiko has some great songs on it too, but
Colossal Head veered off too far into jam land for my taste. But then, I'm
not real into Santana or the Allman Brothers that much either, so...

                                Kip