>Armstrong gets my # 1 vote, btw, not just as a cornetist/trumpeter but as a
>singer whose sense of rhythm and phrasing pretty much invented (along with
>Bing's additions) the way we sing in the 20th century. --david cantwell

Crosby has said that his greatest musical influence was Al Jolsen.  Should
we be talking about Crosby here or should we be giving a nod to Al Jolsen as
one of the single most influential?  No matter where you look to the
greatest, there's always someone who came before.
Whoever it was who  talked about Buddy Bolden - yes, Armstrong borrowed a
lot from Buddy. Should Bolden be the influence, I wonder? "King" of the
cornet -innovative,  expressive and a definite forerunner of what was to be
known as "jazz".   The original "funky butt". - ahem and amen.
Tera