Paul Menzel:
> Would you accept a patch to add fix the instructions in `DB_README`?

I think your problem is that /etc/ld.so.conf needs updating when you
install libdb in a nonstandard place.

I will consider an update if
- it does not break static builds (the current DB_README instructions)
- it does not break dynamic builds
- it does not involve environment variables
- it does support libpostfix*.so in a Postfix-only directory
- it does not break what works below.

Currently, I can build Postfix with static or dynamic linking
by changing this

    export dynamicmaps=yes
    export shared=yes
    export shlib_directory=/usr/lib/postfix/MAIL_VERSION

into this

    export dynamicmaps=no
    export shared=no
    export shlib_directory=
    export AUXLIBS="$AUXLIBS $AUXLIBS_CDB $AUXLIBS_LDAP $AUXLIBS_LMDB etc."

or vice versa. And that is just about all the tweaking that is needed.

        Wietse