hotmail use spf, let recipient benefit from this, whitelist sender from
address book with spf in mta level, no need to be smart :)

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this could you elaborate?  The email
is coming from Hotmails server and therefore SPF is valid.

shourt:

dont whitelist [EMAIL PROTECTED]
whitelist [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I had considered that but manually adding/maintaining addresses would be a pain in the
neck frankly - I briefly surveyed the logs for valid hotmail email and it turns out there
is quite a lot being received by the mail server "unfortunately".

I have emailed [EMAIL PROTECTED] as recommended here by Stan and will see what
happens but I think jumping on Spamassassins mailing list as suggested by
Henrik and using bayes better will be my best bet by the sounds of it.

Thanks