> Then use DOS. your unix is spending too much time switching contexts and
> checking permissions.
>
> Do you have actual measurements or are you just speculating? the benefits of
> a tcp connection generally outweight the handshake costs. and with
> connection "caching", the handshake costs are irrelevant.
>
> Moreover, in some implementations, localhost TCP is as fast as unix streams.

it's roughly 25% faster even with a with a persistent connection.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ time sudo mysql --protocol TCP XXXXXXXX <
test10000.sql > /dev/null

real    0m6.397s
user    0m0.112s
sys     0m0.163s
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ time sudo mysql --protocol SOCKET XXXXXXX <
test10000.sql > /dev/null

real    0m4.816s
user    0m0.070s
sys     0m0.058s

1 - (4.81600 / 6.39700) = 0.2471471

from a quick benchmark using the 10000 request. (and the sql request
is the same as the one postfix uses)

But the 158.1 microseconds per call it's faster is probably not a good
enough reason ;)

but i'm just work-damaged I think. I build large-scale real-time
systems with hard realtime demands (and yes we often skip unix, but
not for DOS but our own homemade handoptimized assembly code, even
harddisks, TCP/IP are too slow and unpredictable in such cases too)

For example capturing electric burts in the 20-400eV range lasting
roughly 2-10ns and with a frequency up to 400MHz range and no
possibility to fix any problems after deployment.

> there is no need to reload. postfix processes will pickup the new values
> sooner or later. do you really change your config every second?
nice, i'm new to postfix so I didn't knew that.

anyways I found an even better solution the proxy_map, since it
actually runs outside the chroot and provides throttling too ;)
best of both worlds :D

Disclaimer: I'm still configuring proxy_map so I haven't tested if it will work