Ahah, light dawns.

> > If you want AD users to logon to *nix boxes (which is nothing to do
> > with mail services), enable Services for Unix on the AD, and setup
> > LDAP authentication for the specified users in PAM.
>
> Perhaps this mechanism could be used for the mail
> authentication as well in the above scenario. Postfix/Dovecot
> should be able to do LDAP authentication via PAM
> (http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-April/012454.html,
> http://www.lxtreme.nl/index.pl/docs/linux/dovecot_postfix_pam).
>
> Ville

Yes, I certainly haven't had any problem with Unix services when
enabling regular logons to a *nix server via AD authentication (I
haven't tried Postfix/Dovecot authentication myself, but there's plenty
of info for that, as you have found). It should certainly make your
solution a lot simpler to implement.