mouss wrote:
some uses of header and body checks:
- reject "banned attachments"
- detect forged Received headers
- detect some backscatter (see the BACKSCATTER README)
I gather that all of these are well described in the BACKSCATTER README, are there any other sources that might be worth a look?
your FPs...

Sorry for being dumb, but what are FPs?
- most people use the default setup. so this is the setup that has been
widely tested and validated.

My trouble here was that I haven't found a consistent default setup.
The setup that came with my Linux distribution was designed for the local desktop machine and did not seem to be suitable for a server.
the codes are defined in the RFCs ;-p

OK, I should have known that.  :-!
3) Is it possible to replace the virtual_mailbox_maps =
hash:/etc/postfix/vmailbox with something like proxy maps such as
virtual_mailbox_maps =  proxy:unix:passwd.byname and if so how would
implement this using Dovecot as the LDA/ MDA
virtual_mailbox_maps is for addresses in virtual_mailbox_domains.
passwd.byname is for unix users. do not mix these.

Sorry, I asked my question poorly and provided an even poorer exemplar. My objective here was to see if there was some way of avoiding having two lists of addresses/mail boxes, the vmailbox table and the Dovecot user_db file.
What I was trying to get at is that Dovecot has a look up function for addresses using its auth_master function. Is that accessible from Postfix, and if so how?
I am trying to make this easy to administer for a total non-techie, as I may not be around.

The "tradition" here is to show output of 'postconf -n' instead of
main.cf. but I'm skipping it anyway...

I did that, but the output seemed bigger than the stuff I appended, but if the convention is "postconf -n" then I will do that in future, thanks for the heads up.
Etiquette question, should I post to the mailing list alone or to both the list and the respondent (in this case mouss).

Once again TIA
JLA