Rob Tanner wrote:
Hi,

I need to run a separate instance of postfix in order to accommodate a FAX server. I created the directory /etc/postfix/fax and copied and customized the main.cf and master.cf files from the default directory to this new directory. I also copied post-install, postfix-files and postfix-script. I also crated the directory /var/spool/postfix/pid/fax for the pid files and explicitly declared it in main.cf (process_id_directory = /var/spool/postfix/pid/fax). When I do an initial attempt to start the postfix instance, I get a message that postfix is already running. Note, also, that the message says postfix/postfix-script rather than postfix/fax/postfix-script.

[r...@neskowin ~]# postfix -c /etc/postfix/fax start
postfix/postfix-script: fatal: the Postfix mail system is already running
[r...@neskowin ~]#

I'm running Postfix 2.2.10. Is there something more I need to do in the setup to get this second instance running?

You need separate queue_directory and data_directory locations for each instance. process_id_directory is defined relative to queue_directory.

On a side note, are you sure you really need a second instance? Extra services can be enabled in master.cf and you can override with the -o flag pretty much anything you can specify in main.cf.