On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 08:52:00 -0600
Jim Wright <j...@wrightthisway.com> wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2009, at 7:41 AM, Paweł Leśniak wrote:
>
> > One of our users is getting lots of returned mails because his
> > email address is used as return-path by spammer(s).
>
> I would guess that your system accepting mail from unknown servers?
> Start blocking those, and you'll find that these bounces will drop
> significantly.  Hard to tell from your sanitized error report...

I think the OP already ruled that out.

The question is whether there is a milter that tracks the message IDs
of outbound mail so that they can be used to check bounce notices for
authenticity. That seems to be rather resource intensive, even if the
regular logs were used... and I don't believe that intermediate hops
are obligated to keep all of those headers in transit.

SPF and DKIM are designed to deal with the joe job issue, but even with
strict sending policies I don't know the chances that the recieving
machine will implement either of these policies in a way that deals
constructively with backscatter.

Chris Babcock