On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 11:49:07AM +0100, Michael Monnerie wrote:

> On Donnerstag 05 Februar 2009 Victor Duchovni wrote:
> > Configure your Postgres database to use a LATIN-1 encoding. WIth this
> > you get a single-byte per character encoding and all byte patterns
> > are valid strings.
>
> The problem is IMAP and POP couldn't convert entries to the client's
> charset of course. That's what we have UTF-8 for.

If the Postfix client declares its encoding to be LATIN-1 and the database
is UTF-8, what problem are you seeing? All LATIN-1 input is representable
in UTF-8, so the database should be able to process all Postfix queries,
and return ASCII answers without any issues. If not, complain to the
Postgres developers...

--
        Viktor.