Hi,
I'm looking for a good solution to make my postfix server operate faster.
My setup is Postfix + Policyd-weight + fail2ban, but nothing helps under heavy load, and the problem is not with the server performance (CPU load is not so high, about 30%), the problem is in the number of smtp connections to port 25 - it's about 400-600 and "normal" users just can't get through and connect to the server to send their mail (they get "server timeout"). Policyd-weight filteres such connections, but it doesn't drop them - seems like it holds them open for some time and gives penality for each mail send attempt, closing them only after N retries. Is it possible to drop such too fast reconnections from same IPs using Postfix or maybe iptables?
Or, maybe there is another way?