jeff donovan wrote:

On Feb 20, 2009, at 12:18 PM, Noel Jones wrote:

jeff donovan wrote:
On Feb 20, 2009, at 9:56 AM, J.P. Trosclair wrote:

You should see the REJECT please... from Noel's example in the logs.

J.P.
got it working.

You can also
# grep 'reject: .*backscatterer' /var/log/maillog
to see how your RBL is working.

Feb 20 11:07:51 mail2 postfix/smtpd[28710]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from mailrelay1.msp.eschelon.com[209.150.200.11]: 557 <>: Sender address rejected: please don't send notices to forged sender; from=<> to=<vic...@mydomain> proto=ESMTP helo=<mailrelay1.msp.eschelon.com>

Why are you using a reject code "557"? Please don't make up your own reject codes, the default is correct and sufficient.

I had individual numbers so I could tell which access list was doing what.
#unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
#unknown_address_reject_code  = 554
#unknown_hostname_reject_code = 555
#unknown_client_reject_code   = 556
#access_map_reject_code = 557
#maps_rbl_reject_code = 558

i commented them out.

Good. There is no need to change the codes to to differentiate the rejections.

The postfix "built-in" restrictions, such as reject_unknown_client_hostname, each give a unique and clear description of what rule rejected the client.

For access tables, use custom text like the example I provided earlier to see what rule caused the rejection.

The *reject_code parameters mean something to remote MTAs and generally should not be changed from their carefully selected default values.

  -- Noel Jones