Sriram Nyshadham wrote:
Hello All,

I need help finding out what parameter overrides what out of bounce_queue_lifetime and maximal_queue_lifetime. On our MTAs,

bounce_queue_lifetime = 0d and maximal_queue_lifetime = 5d. So, according to the definition, when bounce_queue_lifetime is set to 0

then mail delivery should be tried only once. However, would it still be in the queue since the maxq life time is 5d?

Why such a short bounce_queue_lifetime? It's far better to eliminate the source of the bounces. The usual solution is to not accept mail for undeliverable recipients.

To answer the question, when bounce_queue_lifetime is set to 0, delivery of bounces will be tried only once. If your queue is clogged with thousands of messages it may take quite some time for the first delivery attempt.

The maximal_queue_lifetime parameter applies to non-bounce messages.

  -- Noel Jones