Steve Crawford wrote:
While we do not manage a "mailing list" in the traditional sense, we do send a lot of emails (daily/weekly/monthly reports, instant-alert messages, etc.) where using VERP to track bounces could prove useful.

We run numerous projects with varying requirements and the messages could be generated by Perl, Python, Bash/mutt, etc. All inbound/outbound mail is routed through Postfix.

So I'm seeking recommendations/ideas. Has anyone done something with rewriting or procmail or ??? Are there any filters or other external programs that might help me achieve this in Postfix? Can you recommend any replacements for our current email generation tools (needs to be command-line and allow us to generate multipart-MIME and attachments)?

I am aware of the sendmail -V possibililty but some of the other tools are more convenient when generating multipart MIME, adding attachments, etc. and it doesn't appear the -V option can be used in server mode to make a VERPifying server.

Thoughts/suggestions/ideas?

Cheers,
Steve

Seems to me that if you want to use SMTP and you control the submitting software it should be easy enough to add XVERP to the MAIL FROM command:
http://www.postfix.org/VERP_README.html#smtp

It wouldn't be safe to do this by sender address, but you could use a check_client_access table with a FILTER result pointing to a pipe transport that does a "sendmail -XV ..." reinjection.

  -- Noel Jones