Wietse Venema wrote:
Daniel L. Miller:
Mar 4 23:21:33 mailserver postfix/smtpd[20964]: warning: proxy inet:192.168.0.10:225 rejected "DATA": "250 2.1.5 Ok"

Your proxy replies with "250 2.1.5 Ok" to the "DATA" command.

250 Is an incorrect reply. It should be "354" for success,
5xx or 4xx for failure.

And because 250 is not a valid DATA reply, Postfix does not go into
the DATA phase.

Postfix then forwards the "250 2.1.5 Ok" to your SMTP client.
When you talk directly to Postfix, this is why you see "250 2.1.5
Ok" in response to DATA. This is clearly bogus, and I'll fix Postfix
so it will send some appropriate reply instead. But I won't be
posting patches for that.
Wow.  Last thing I expected was to hear I found a bug in Postfix 2.5.

I'm also pursuing this on the ASSP list - but something else bothers me. To my (extremely limited) knowledge - ASSP should just be passing on responses it receives from the servers it is proxying. That first "250 2.1.5 Ok" is theoretically coming from Postfix, not ASSP - please see my other email that had a telnet transcript.

Why is it that if I direct telnet to ASSP - which then proxies responses from Postfix - it works fine? But if I telnet to Postfix first, which then uses content_filter or smtpd_proxy_filter to connect to the same ASSP port I telnet'ed to previously - I have this DATA problem? This feels like I need to adjust something in Postfix for the relay to work properly.

--
Daniel