Cameron Camp a écrit :
> I have monitoring applications on boxes on the same subnet as a box I
> want to use for mailing list notification using Postfix/mailman to
> notify several users. An example is some box throwing an snmp trap,
> where a notification would try to send to notification_l...@example.com
> so several people would know. Right now that e-mail would be seen to be
> coming from r...@the_monitor_node_box_name, which won't deliver.

that's the problem to fix.

if some remote server rejects the sender address, you should try to
configure the remote server not do so. if you can't, use
smtp_generic_maps to rewrite the sender.

> What
> are best practices for this? I would only ever have about 15 boxes
> reporting. Sorry if this has been already covered.

Use a specific IP or port, and on this IP or port, accept all mail. the
sender address is irrelevant in this case.

note that a lot of cron jobs are run as $service user, and will send as
such. if this user doesn't exist on the mail hub, you risk rejecting
mail from cron related jobs. so don't use reject_unlisted_sender for
mail coming out of your own systems.

PS. why do we see that many @cloud9.net instead of @postfix.org mail?