* KLaM Postmaster <postmas...@klam.ca>:
> I am thinking of switching to Ubuntu 8.10 LTS server, however when I
> look at the Postfix configuration it seems somewhat odd.
> I don't want to start a flame war, but I would like to hear what people
> think about things like "dynamicmaps" and other oddities of the Ubuntu
> Postfix configuration.

Postfix integration is okay as it is. Several people have pointed out why and
I agree with all statements. What hasn't been mentioned yet is the tools you
have access to, if you run Postfix on an Debian/Ubuntu system.

I moved away from RH-like systems two years ago because it's a PITA to get all
the programs you want when you build a mail server. You can get dkim-milter,
amavisd, SpamAssassin etc. pp. through Dag Wieers repository, but then you
break this other dependency and this doesn't work anymore or you spent weeks
waiting for a bug fix.

I haven't seen this on Ubuntu - minor deviations not taken into account.

Looking at the mail system as a whole makes Debian/Ubuntu interesting to me.

dynamicmaps work and don't get into my way. That's perfect for me. On SASL I
don't agree where LaMont puts the configuration file, but then I don't want to
be dogmatic about this either.

The real bad thing is you set it up and it just works. You don't get any
reason to play with once you've set it up. Which is bad, because it's fun. ;)

p...@rick

--
All technical answers asked privately will be automatically answered on
the list and archived for public access unless privacy is explicitely

saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):