Kevin Cousin via Postfix-users:
> Greetings List,
>
>  We recently had an issue and the active queue was full and slowed
> down all new mail delivery. Is it possible to rate limit the mail
> flow to protect smtpd from a massive mail input ?

By default, the Postfix SMTP server enforces in_flow_delay (1 second)
when the received message rate exceeds the delivered message rate.

    in_flow_delay (default: 1s)
           Time to pause before accepting a new message, when the message
arrival
           rate  exceeds  the  message delivery rate. This feature is turned on
by
           default (it's disabled on SCO UNIX due to an SCO bug).

           With the default 100 Postfix SMTP server process limit,
"in_flow_delay
           =  1s" limits the mail inflow to 100 messages per second above the
num-
           ber of messages delivered per second.

           Specify 0 to disable the feature. Valid delays are 0..10.

It's limited to 10s, because waiting much longer may cause clients
to go away. Reducing the Postfix SMTP server process limit has a
similar result as increasing the in_flow_delay.