On Sat, Nov 04, 2023 at 09:48:32AM -0400, Wietse Venema via Postfix-users wrote:

> To be precise: Postfix opens your LDAP configuration file and asks
> the LDAP library to create an LDAP client instance, before entering
> the chroot jail and before accepting any SMTP client commmands.
>
> HOWEVER, Postfix does not connect to LDAP sockets before entering
> the chroot jail and before accepting any SMTP client commmands. The
> LDAP library decides when it wants to do that.

IIRC there we were once upon a time requeting immediate connections to
LDAP, but that was not ideal:

    - It complicated connection sharing across multiple tables with
      the same underlying backend server, that differ only in the
      query deails.

    - It also (when chrooted) meant automatic reconnect on error
      to an alternative server, ... would not necessarily work.

    - ...

IIRC, the is in principle a way to perform an early, rather than delayed
LDAP bind, but the OP should instead use:

    proxy:ldap:...

with "proxyread" not chrooted.  This further improves connection sharing
and is a best practice.

--
    Viktor.