Peter via Postfix-users:
> On 21/02/24 12:40, Wietse Venema via Postfix-users wrote:
> > Peter via Postfix-users:

> > Note that this IS a breaking change: features are removed. But
> > there have been warnings for 10+ years that this was coming.
>
> Right, this is the main reason why I think that releasing as 4.0 would
> be appropriate.  I do realize that these features have been deprecated
> for a long time but still they are, as you say, breaking changes and so
> releasing as 4.0 will help a lot to distinguish that.

It's three (permit_naked_ip_address, reject_maps_rbl, check_relay_domains)
that have been logging warnings since 2005 or earlier). I find it
hard to justify a major version change for their removal.

> >> Just a quick thought here.  I think it would make sense to release this
> >> as Postfix 4.0 since removing and deprecating a large number of features
> >> should probably be considered quite a major change.
> >
> > I'm not sure that I follow. This is not a breaking change. it just logs
> > a reminder that there will be a breaking change a few years from now.
>
> I didn't mean to imply that these are breaking changes.  Simply taking
> the whole of these changes into account along with the breaking changes
> above seems to lend support to releasing as 4.0.

There is a lot more work that needs to be done, that could result
in 5.x in just a few years. It's not impossible to have major
versions a few yearts apart,  but I'd like keep a major version for
the time that were removing those 17 obsolete TLS parameters
(_use_tls, _enforce_tls, _per_site, and some otther ones).