You can also configure a non-zero smtpd_client_message_rate_limit

On 07.03.24 17:21, Colin McKinnon via Postfix-users wrote:
Hmmmm, not so sure about that. The docs do advise against this for
legitimate traffic - and I've yet to see anything in the documentation that
describes what happens when these rates are exceeded is it a 4xx? a 5xx? Is
the IP just blocked?

I have set this number on some servers to big enough (1000), just to see maximum number in anvil stats. It helps with setting limits later.

And yes, there are better ways for this, e.g. using postfwd.

you could use a policy service to impose rate limits per SASL login, or
sender address

I had not considered that as a means of load balancing across the available
relays (delaying the message at the origin is very much a last resort). I
will do some reading on this.

Note that policy limits incoming mail, not outgoing. Just like smtpd_*_limit
- these are to limit receiving mail from your clients, not sending it out.
Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?