Hello,

I recently did a misconfiguration of an internal mail server for a test system and as a result broke the TLSA record. Postfix still delivered mail to the system now with Trusted instead of Verified (BTW I find these two outputs texts misleading, each time I check the logs I look for a reference server to know which of the two is which, couldn't you find something more explicit?). That was a really unexpected behavior for me so I looked in the documentation for "smtp_tls_security_level = dane" in https://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#client_tls_dane and really there it says "If TLSA records are published for a given remote SMTP server (implying TLS support), but are all "unusable" due to unsupported parameters or malformed data, the Postfix SMTP client will use mandatory unauthenticated TLS."

Now I understand the rationale behind this. You want to prevent mail breaking because of too many bad configurations, but in this case I think a more strict DANE setting is missing: * I agree that at the moment it can be a good idea not to enforce DANE for "unsupported parameters" or "malformed data" (even though I think there should be a way to make this an error). * But I would expect that DANE is enforced when data is well-formed and with supported parameters but simply wrong, like in my case old.

Would it be possible to add a "dane-strict" setting which enforces correct DANE always, when there are TLSA records or at least acceptable but not matching TLSA records (I assume changing "dane" option is out of the question)?

For Freedom In Peace