On 2024-04-10 at 05:46:36 UTC-0400 (Wed, 10 Apr 2024 17:46:36 +0800)
Mr. Peng via Postfix-users <vir...@gmail.com>
is rumored to have said:

> I have been using spamhaus, spamcop, sorbs as the RBL providers for
> antispam.
> But some of the customers speak to me about the FP issues caused by RBL.
> Do you think the three RBL above are reliable in a practical system?

Those are three of the best, but you have to understand that they are
complicated and may not fit YOUR needs.

Spamhaus offers multiple DNSBLs which each has a vey specific definition, which
they aggregate in the "Zen" list which uses reply value to indicate which
component an address listing belongs to. Not all component lists of Zen are
appropriate for all MTAs. Spamhaus is extremely careful about making each list
reliably represent what they claim it represents. They act quickly on the rare
occasions when they inadvertently list sources of legitimate email.

SpamCop is based on actual feeds of spam from many sources, and when they list
an IP, you can be certain that it recently sent spam. They do not exempt major
mailbox providers who are also major spam emitters. If you use the SpamCop list
as an absolute test, you will reject some legitimate mail which shares an
outbound MTAQ with spam. Reliably.

SORBS is also informed by multiple sources of spam, and like SpamCop they do
not exempt mixed sources. Like Spamhaus, they have both independent DNSBLs and
an aggregated list that uses distinct return values for each component list, so
you need to take that into account when using it, to fit the different sorts of
listings to different interfaces. Like SpamCop, some of the SORBS components
intermittently list major mixed sources.

You really need to look at your DNSBL choices carefully and with an
understanding of your users and their needs. You may want to consider using
them in a more complex filtering tool like SpamAssassin where it is possible to
weight the impact of different DNSBLs to fit your needs and to make explicit
direct exemptions if you like.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire