-- Doug

> On Apr 24, 2024, at 09:05, John Levine via Postfix-users
> <postfix-users@postfix.org> wrote:
>
> It appears that Viktor Dukhovni via Postfix-users
> <postfix-us...@dukhovni.org> said:

>>> Oh, there's your problem. If you are talking directly to an SMTP
>>> server, you have to use SMTP line endings \r\n rather than the \n used
>>> in files on Unix systems.
>>
>> Maybe, but perhaps this is too literal a reading of the OP's anecdotal
>> description of the message handling.  One might equally expect that the
>> problem is with some parser of the message content not expecting to decode
>> quoted-printable MIME bodies.
>
> I suppose, but sending bare LF in SMTP is definitely wrong, so he needs to
> fix that first.

Well, the header lines are properly terminated by CRLF.  However, the text
lines are whatever I get from postfix.  Generally that is just a LF.  I copied
the text and inserted the CRs and sent it to see what happens.  I get the same
result: = signs at each fold point.

The solution was to replace all the =LFs with a couple spaces.
Postfix/receiving MUA wraps the text of long lines properly (e.g., without and
=).  There was one other =<nn> occurance that I found a replaced with spaces.
This solution was easy to accomplish since the text of the message is accessed
via mmap.  I expected to see some extraneous spaces in the message, but
something is optimizing them out.

— Doug