On Thu April 30 2009 10:58:17 Jon wrote:
> I want to create a new debian Linux based postfix system to sit in
> front of Exchange 2003 and act only as an SMTP gateway for starters
> and possibly do some filtering down the road. There seems to be less
> than 65,000 connections per day coming at Exchange and I'm thinking
> to start with one ~16 GB disk for the system.

16GB seems very small. As cheap as storage is, why not get something
with enough room for now and the future? Also, a 16GB drive is surely
used, and it might not last very long.

> I've read bits in the list archives that /var/queue and /var/log

Which list archives? Postfix keeps its queue in /var/spool/postfix by
default. Your syslogd probably uses /var/log, and yes, logging is
important.

> might be advisable to live on separate partitions. Digging around

You don't want your queue partition/filesystem filling up.
You don't want your log partition/filesystem filling up.

If you make too many separations, you might eventually find that your
hands are tied when it comes to dealing with new circumstances in the
future. Linux LVM is probably a good idea ... on a suitably large, yet
inexpensive, SATA drive. While you're at it, make it two or more
drives: SATA RAID (real hardware RAID, I mean, not in-the-driver
fakeraid or Linux software RAID) isn't awfully expensive either. 3ware
is a good choice.

I figure this: your company had the money to waste on MSexChange, so
they might as well spend enough money on this hardware. The additions
I've suggested probably cost far less than your license fee.