Aravind M D:

> When we have done an smtp testing on one of our trading application
> server using the frontend smtp tool, we are not able to send out mails
> internally to the mailserver, as the mailserver is rejecting with the
> following error message.
>
> warning: Illegal address syntax from unknown[ipaddress] in MAIL command:
> '<usern...@example.com>'
>
> Can anyone give me a solution for this.

According to your problem report, the trading application sends:

    MAIL FROM:'<usern...@example.com>'

The correct SMTP protocol syntax is:

    MAIL FROM:<usern...@example.com>

Not even Sendmail accepts the incorrect syntax.

You can easily view the command by logging the SMTP commands (main.cf:
debug_peer_list = address of client) or by sniffing the network.