Terry L. Inzauro wrote, at 06/15/2009 01:52 PM:

> I like the idea of verifying addresses, but this stuck out.
>
> <snip from the "Postfix Address Verification Howto">
>
> WARNING
>
> The sender/recipient address verification feature described in this document
> is suitable only for low-traffic sites. It
> performs poorly under high load; excessive sender address verification
> activity may even cause your site to be blacklisted by
> some providers. See the "Limitations" section below for details.
>
> </snip>
>
> what does the author consider as being low traffic?

As long as you follow Noel's advice and don't accidentally the whole
Internet, you'll be fine. :)

Furthermore, you may want to configure the optional persistent
verification database and tweak the settings as needed to reduce
excessive probes to the domain:

 http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_VERIFICATION_README.html#caching
 http://www.postfix.org/verify.8.html

Keep in mind that this approach (recipient address verification) is
better suited for gateways and is a somewhat imperfect match for a
backup MX. If the primary goes offline, there is still a risk that your
backup server will reject legitimate addresses that are not present in
the cache. Nonetheless, it is better than becoming a backscatter source
(though a real dump of valid recipients is far preferable).