Hi,

I was googling to check if there are any howtos to setup
smtp-source/smtp-sink to test smtp performance, but there are none and
after a quick dig through the man page and another article at
postfixmail.com [http://postfixmail.com/blog/?p=218] I figured that
out. I am posting the commands here for archives.

# smtp-sink -c 192.168.3.35:25 3

-c Display  running counters that are updated whenever an SMTP session
ends, a QUIT command is executed, or when "." is  received.

192.168.3.35:25 is the ip port where you want smtp-sink to listen.

3 is the backlog.  The backlog argument defines the maximum length to
which the  queue  of pending  connections  for  sockfd  may  grow.
If a connection request arrives when the queue is full, the client may
receive an error with an indication  of  ECONNREFUSED

I have no idea what would be a nice value for backlog, but this is a
required value.  so I put 3. Hope others might chime in.

-v can show the SMTP conversations. -w delay can insert  delay seconds
before responding to a DATA command.

# time smtp-source -s 40 -l 10120 -m 500 -c -f rajkum...@gmail.com -t
f...@example.com 192.168.3.74:25

This example shows 40 parallel sessions (-s 40), almost 10KB sized
messages (-l 10120), 500 messages sent (-m 500), counter display (-c),
envelope sender and receiver (-f rajkum...@gmail.com  -t
f...@example.com) and connection on port 25 of  192.168.3.74
(192.168.3.74:25).

-N Can prepend  a  non-repeating  sequence  number  to  each
recipient address. This avoids the artificial 100% hit rate in the
resolve and rewrite client caches and exercises the trivial-rewrite
daemon, better approximating Postfix  performance  under  real-life
work-loads.

-r recipient_count increases the number of reciepients per mail from
the default of one.

-S subject Send mail with the named subject line (default none)

Hope this helps some one searching for it later.

raj