Benny Pedersen wrote:
On Wed, July 22, 2009 22:18, Wietse Venema wrote:
Sahil Tandon:
On Jul 22, 2009, at 4:06 PM, "Benny Pedersen" <m...@junc.org> wrote:
On Wed, July 22, 2009 22:00, Noel Jones wrote:
http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#strict_7bit_headers
if postfix changed defaults to yes, then i belive problematic
senders would change there problem
Oh please.  The functionality exists for you to be strict on this.  By
all means, go for it.  The rest of us still care about ensuring
delivery of legitimate mail, however 'broken' it might appear to you. :)
I agree. The primary goal is good mail delivery performance.

what about rfc then ?

"be strict in what you send, liberal in what you accept"

There's too much bad prior art to expect everyone to be RFC compliant. And pretty much every other MTA accepts 8 bit headers by default; sometimes you have to go with the crowd.

You're welcome to be as strict as you want on your own site.

I think we've covered this subject as much as it deserves.

  -- Noel Jones