On Wednesday 29 July 2009 13:35:42 Carlos Williams wrote:
> I am checking my mail queue and I have noticed that mail in my queue
> is stuck with the following error:
>
> AA83077925B     1508 Sun Jul 26 10:22:31
> rheinl...@simulationinformation.com (host mx.dr1.us.army.mil
> [143.69.243.34] said: 451 #4.1.8 Domain of sender address
> <rheinl...@simulationinformation.com> does not resolve (in reply
> to MAIL FROM command))
>                                          <munged-by-rob0>@us.army.mil

You left one address unmunged. But, it has the domain, which we need,
and indeed, all those hosts are MX hosts for us.army.mil.

> My domain is not the domain I omitted from the log entries and I
> checked /var/log/maillog to find the same error in my mail logs. I am
> concerned as to why my Postfix server is handling mail for the omitted
> domain. That domain is a .mil domain which has nothing to do with my
> Postfix server.

And you don't have users who might want you to relay mail to
us.army.mil?

> ***Postconf -n***
snipped except a few:

> broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes

> smtpd_helo_restrictions = permit_mynetworks,
> permit_sasl_authenticated,    reject_non_fqdn_helo_hostname,

> smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes

These indicate that you do allow submission through this Postfix
instance.

> Can someone please help me understand why I am getting this several
> of the same entries showing up in my log entries? I don't think the
> sender is a spammer and this might be legitimate email but I can't
> understand why it's flowing through my SMTP server...

You're relaying for someone who claims to be that sender. The Army MX
hosts are, for whatever reason, unable to resolve that sender domain.

simulationinformation.com. 14400 IN     MX      0 simulationinformation.com.
simulationinformation.com. 14400 IN     A       174.120.31.226

It resolves fine, here.

As Brian said, find where it came in, if you still think it's
suspicious.