* LuKreme <krem...@kreme.com>:
> I am planning on recompiling postfix and all its various helper apps
> (switching from cyrus  to dovecot, upgrading mysql, Maybe setting up
> LDAP, and doing a clean install of FreeBSD latest) onto a newer, and
> hopefully more capable machine.
>
> What I want to do is get the new system built and configured and
> tested and then swap it in to replace the old machine.
>
> My question is what is the best way to actually migrate the mail and
> the users to the new machine without losing mail? WOuld it be a good
> idea (or even possible) to run the two machines in parallel for a
> time, having all new mail go to both of them so I can then remove
> the old machine once I see that everything is working?

Run the machines in parallel.
Migrate users first and modify to fit the new environment if needed.
Then start syncing messages.

When you move from Cyrus to something else you can't use a file to file copy
mechanism, since the Cyrus mailbox format is non-standard. There probably is a
conversion script out there that converts Cyrus mailbox to e.g. Maildir, but
IMHO there's a far better way.

Use imapsync <http://www.linux-france.org/prj/imapsync/README> to sync IMAP
messages between the old and the new machine.

- it doesn't care about mailbox formats since it does IMAP from one machine to
  the other
- it also migrates all IMAP flags (seen, unseen, etc.), which you would loose
  on a simple file to file copy migration
- using IMAP to sync also creates the Dovecot specific mailbox index, which
  file to file copy migration doesn't either
- you can exclude folders like INBOX/Trash from migration
- and ... last but not least ... you can rewrite folders e.g.
  sync "INBOX/sent items" to "INBOX/Sent" on the new machines if you need to.

p...@rick

justified.

saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):