Martin Allan Jensen wrote:
Michael Orlitzky wrote:

If your customers have POP3/IMAP accounts, there is already a database of usernames and passwords *somewhere*. Query that.

Yes there is - actually there is about six different ones - so making a system that could talk to all those authentication mechanisms would take me years to develop. That's why I am looking for something simpler.

--
Martin

Judging by the website, BlueOnyx uses MySQL to store its account information. Both Cyrus and Dovecot SASL support querying MySQL databases, so you wouldn't have to write anything. Dovecot, at least (I'm not sure about Cyrus), supports multiple databases queried one after another:

  http://wiki.dovecot.org/Authentication/MultipleDatabases

You would simply create a configuration file for each POP3/IMAP database.