On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 08:17:13PM +0100, lst_ho...@kwsoft.de wrote:

> Zitat von Victor Duchovni <victor.ducho...@morganstanley.com>:
>
>> On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 02:39:06PM -0200, maximatt wrote:
>>
>>> Postfix support dns srv registers... for ldap service?
>>
>> If you need to define your LDAP servers in SRV records, you can
>> run a cron job that queries DNS, and rebuilds your "map.cf" files
>> based on an updated server list.
>>
>> There is no support in Postfix for using SRV records to find LDAP servers.
>>
>> What standard defines SRV records for LDAP?
>
> Maybe the OP is referring to Microsoft Active Directory where some special
> records exists in DNS to find the domain controller which are in turn LDAP
> servers with records for the domain users and their attributes like
> mailaddress??

Is support for:

    _ldap._tcp.example.com

enough? Is this sufficiently well standardized?

What should the user interface be? Right now we have:

        server_port = 389
        server_host = hostname ...
        server_host = ldap://hostname:389 ...
        server_host = ldaps://hostname:389 ...

Unless there is an LDAP URI syntax that indirects through SRV records
implemented in the OpenLDAP library, Postfix would need a new syntax
to trigger the construction of a URI list from DNS.

I think it would be much simpler to write a cron job, than to ask Postfix
to determine the server list on the fly. Ugly issues creep in if DNS
queries time out, or temp-fail... This is much easier to handle in a
cron job that simply leaves previous settings untouched...

--
        Viktor.