On Sunday 08 November 2009 11:13:36 Jon Musselwhite wrote:
> Hi, I've been searching everywhere for this and can't seem to find
> a solution.

And your post might make matters worse, as no one can propose any
solution without making wild (and likely wrong) guesses about your
configuration.

> I'm runing a centos 5 server with postfix and cyrus on it and would
> like to send a notification email to a cell phone email address
> when new mail is received on a certain account. What is the best
> way to go about doing this?

"Best" is relative to your configuration and to your comfort level
with various external software. This sounds like a procmail(1) and
mutt(1) job to me. It will sound different to maildrop or sieve
users, I am sure.

> I've tried adding a new service to master.cf that runs a script,
> but it won't run when new mail is received. It will only run if I
> replace an existing service with the script (like spamassassin).

My WAG here would be that you don't understand the concept of
transport(5) as is used in Postfix. Mail comes in by one of several
means, typically smtpd(8) or sendmail(1). Then a routing decision is
made, and it is routed out via a transport:nexthop.

I would suggest DEBUG_README.html#mail and Google the list archives
before you post again. Note that "cell phone" is quite irrelevant as
search term; Postfix makes no distinction as to the ultimate
destination of any email address other than the aforementioned
transport:nexthop determination. What you want is to run a command.

aliases.5.html describes various means for local(8) delivery to pipe
to commands; virtual.5.html (and postconf.5.html#virtual_alias_maps)
offers an easy way to route any particular address to another, such
as to a local alias which or user who might run a command. And
finally there is pipe.8.html to set up a transport to external
software.

Of course all the .html references should be on your own machine;
they can also be found at http://www.postfix.org/ .