cont...@rusanu.com:
> Thanks Andreas,
>
> The reject would be '553 Mail from ... not allowed', so it sounds like
> a dead end trying to configure postfix to handle this.
> Suggestions on how to workaround are welcome.

This is essentially the same problem as home office sites trying
to send direct mail from a residential pool with fall-back to some
ISP because their address is listed in zen.spamhaus.org.

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
    smtp_fallback_relay=mail.isp.net

/etc/postfix/master.cf:
    smtp      unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
        -o soft_bounce=yes

When the direct-to-destination delivery attempt fails, it will be
the same Postfix SMTP client process that dumps the message to the
fallback host, so 5xx replies will be ignored in both cases, and
mail may remain queued forever.

Ignoring 5xx responses is not kosher use of SMTP, and there is no
enthousiastic support for Postfix to give 5xx replies a treatment
that depends on context.

        Wietse