On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 11:27:18AM -0500, Dennis Putnam wrote:

> I am running Postfix/Cyrus

I assume you mean Cyrus IMAP...

> on the same server that contains user home directories.

With the local(8) transport delegating delivery via mailbox_transport.

> The forwarding mechanism (.forward) is, of course, working
> and I understand it.

This assumes "system users" who have passwd file entries, and so by
definition have home directories.

> What I don't understand is how this mechanism works, or even if it does,
> when a user's home directory is on a different server than Postfix/Cyrus.

A system user's home directory is never "on a different server", NFS, AFS
and the like don't matter in this context, the home directory is still
locally accessible.

Perhaps you are looking to integrate Cyrus IMAP with virtual users.

> In other words when Postfix/Cyrus does not have access to the user's
> home directory. Or is there some other delivery mechanism involved that
> I am missing?

You can change the forward_path setting to create .forward files for users
(each owned by the user in question, or local(8) will not trust it), in
a location different from the user's home directory.

    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#forward_path

If the users don't have passwd file entries, then forwarding needs to be
managed via aliases(5) or better yet virtual(5).

    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#alias_maps
    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#virtual_alias_maps
    http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html
    http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html

You can deliver to Cyrus IMAP via LMTP, after rewriting recipient
addresses in virtual(5) into a domain that is routed to a suitable
transport(5).

--
        Viktor.