On 12/23/2009 9:05 PM, Ralph Johnston wrote:
I am moving our email system to Postfix, but I'm not quite able to get
it to do what I want.

I would like to "collapse" (alias?) all our domains and subdomains down
to one, so email to a name @ any of our domains ends up in one mailbox.
I have this working (as best as I can tell) using virtual domains.

The problem that you will run into with this scenario (of using a wildcard forward from the secondary domain to the primary domain) in a virtual user environment is that you'll generate backscatter bounces. That concept of forwarding n...@anything to n...@primary works fine for system users, but not virtual users.

Your better solution is to put your foot down and alias single-users from the secondary domain to the primary domain. If your situation is like ours, it turns out that not everyone needs to be able to receive email at all of the possible domains. Plus, trimming that down means that they'll get less spam when a spam run hits na...@domain1, na...@domain2, na...@domain3.

Our rule ended up being - if you have business cards with multiple addresses, then you should be listed on multiple domains. Plus, since we did individual aliases pointing from the second domain to the primary, we could offer the user the choice of 2 mailboxes or a single mailbox.

I would like to use virtual mailboxes, not system accounts. I think I've
got this working, too, using Postfix virtual mailboxes.

I would like to list, in one place, all the valid users; in the same (or
another) place, list aliases.

We use PostfixAdmin to manage our multiple domains and mailboxes. Keeping all of the information in PostgreSQL tables also helps in the case where you do need to setup large lists of users. The PostfixAdmin table structure is straightforward and easy to add/modify records.

And somehow have any address not in that list get put into a catch-all
mailbox. I can't get that part to work - it just creates new virtual
mailboxes.

Catch-all mailboxes are evil. Or if not evil, at least pointless in the long run. Do you really want all of the spam that ends up there when a botnet does a dictionary attack against your server? Identify the addresses that the catch-all should be catching and simply setup aliases for those.

To top it off, I'm using Dovecot deliver to allow server-side filtering
using sieve.

Postfix 2.6.5
Dovecot 1.2.9
CentOS 5.4