richard lucassen wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 19:57:41 +0000
Mark Goodge <m...@good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:

I want to send once a week a simple mail to a list of 3000
recipients. I can set smtpd_recipient_limit and
smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit to higher limits, but is there a
better way to handle this?

Yes. Install a proper mailing list management system, such as Mailman
or  majordomo. 3000 recipients is waaaaaaay too many to do in a single
shot  using Bcc.

Ok, but a mlm is quite some overkill IMHO, just wondering if there was
an intermediate solution. This is for a blind person who handles the
"mailinglist" himself, so solutions are rather limited.

But anyway, I can always write a small shell script that does the job.
Should not be a very big problem.

Your biggest problem, with that number of recipients, is handling bounces and unsubscriptions. Splitting the recipients into chunks is easy enough, but dealing with all the invalid and/or expired addresses is what makes it more complex. And if you don't handle them correctly, then you're getting into dangerous territory - that's where legitimate lists start being treated as spam, especially if any of the recipients have addresses with the major webmail operators such as Hotmail and Yahoo.

Most decent MLMs allow you to import subscribers from a simple text list, so from a user point of view it's no harder (and often easier) than maintaining it in the addressbook of an email client for Bcc purposes. It's more complex for the administrator, but if you're competent enough to administer Postfix then it's hardly likely to be a problem for you!

Mark