Frank Cusack:
> On January 13, 2010 8:16:36 AM -0600 Stan Hoeppner <s...@hardwarefreak.com>
> wrote:
> > Frank Cusack put forth on 1/12/2010 9:46 PM:
> >
> >> I think it all ended well though?  Except my problem still exists. :\
> >
> > We know things break when that hosts sends mail to you.  What happens
> > when you send mail to that host?  Do you see the same disconnect problem
> > or similar? What were the results of tcpdump?
>
> Sending mail works fine.  Interesting.
>
> Contrary to what I said earlier, tcpdump is in fact interesting.  I see
> a 3 way handshake, and that's it.  10 minutes later, a reset.  However
> postfix logs a disconnect immediately.  I do notice that their mss is
> only 1260, so clearly they are going through some kind of packet mangling
> firewall.  But that doesn't excuse postfix for declaring the connection
> disconnected when in fact no packet came from them.

Would you be willing to share this complete evidence so that other
people can learn from it, or do you expect that we just take your
eyewitness report every claim made here sofar?

Perhaps surprisingly, Postfix does not send or receive network
packets.  Instead, packets are handled by the TCP/IP implementation
in the operating system kernel.

If anything decides "prematurely" that the connection is dead, it
is your operating system kernel not Postfix.

Please do not fall into the trap of accusing the messenger (Postfix)
of the bad news  that comes from your operatring system kernel
(connection is dead).

        Wietse