Axel:
> Hello!
>
> We are running postfix 2.3.8 on Debian etch with a pretty much standard
> configuration (we didn't tweak any limit settings etc.)
>
> If I send an email with 49 recipients all emails get delivered (so the
> envelope recipient list is complete) but the recipient list in the header
> "To:" gets truncated. Interestingly at 960 characters, the next email
> recipient with address is 60 characters long.

This does not reproduce.

I take your example message and double the number of To: addresses
by appending the header to itself, and nothing is truncated when
I send the result from one Postfix over SMTP into another Postfix.

You did not show the entire message header in the postcat output,
but I suspect that you will see a content filter at 127.0.0.1.