On 25/03/2010, at 11:43 AM, James Lever wrote:

> This still doesn’t solve the issue of local destination mail - mail sent via
> “mail user” or “mail u...@$myhostname” from the local system still gets
> delivered to the mail spool.  This is the key part that I’m still trying to
> solve.

For anybody else that comes along, I discovered 2 methods to easily do what I
wanted.

Method 1:

Enable envelope_sender masquerading (non-default behaviour).

edit  masquerade_classes to include envelope_recipient, for example:

  masquerade_classes = envelope_sender, envelope_recipient, header_sender,
header_recipient

along with

  masquerade_domains = $mydomain
  masquerade_exceptions = root, mailer-daemon, logwatch

Method 2:

This method can provide significantly greater flexibility, but bypasses all
local delivery attempts including alias expansion, so any aliases need to be
defined in /etc/postfix/virtual and the regexp needs to exclude it (from my
minimal testing of this method)

  local_transport = virtual
  virtual_alias_maps = regexp:/etc/postfix/virtual

in /etc/postfix/virtual have an entry similar to this

    /(.*)@/         $...@somedomain.com

Hopefully that’s the right way to do the second one.

cheers,
James