* Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org>:
> Normally the queue manager deletes a defer logfile when it brings
> a message into the active queue, and the bounce daemon deletes the
> defer logfile after sending a "mail too old" bounce message.
>
> If the defer file still exists without the message file, some of
> the following happened:
>
> - The queue file was deleted by hand without deleting the bounce/defer
> logfile for that message. In this case, nothing is list since the
> message would not be delivered.
>
> - After restoring a mail queue from elsewhere, postsuper was renaming
> files to make the 'queue id' match the message file inode number,
> and was interrupted before it got to rename the defer file. In this
> case nothing is lost, because at least one more mail delivery attempt
> will be made.
>
> - The message was renamed with "postsuper -r". Again, nothing lost
> since there will be at last one more delivery attempt.
>
> - It it's none of the above, someone lost mail.
>
> Postfix is as careful about not losing mail, as it is about not
> losing information about delivery errors. Losing a delivery error
> is like losing the message itself - in both cases the recipient
> does not receive the message, and the sender is not notified.

That means chances are good that I did something stupid that the long
term storage logs don't show, and that said act of stupidity did not
cause harm.

I think I can live with my presumed occasional stupor, as log as it
only resurfaces every four years.

As always, thank you for the insightful technical explanations.

Stefan