Zitat von Ram <r...@netcore.co.in>:

On my central postfix server I do typically 100k mail transactions per
hour. Postfix 2.7 on a  Dual Quadcore Xeon 4 GB Ram RHEL5 box.

Sometimes this happens that mails move very slowly from incoming queue
to the active queue.

I think  I got the basic hygiene right:
This server has absolutely no header-checks , no content-checks ,
transport file ( hash) has less than 2k lines and syslog is not an issue
too. ( I dev-nulled the mail and tested that )

I guess you have read http://www.postfix.org/QSHAPE_README.html#incoming_queue

I suspect that the machine is starving on I/O , but "iostat " shows an
iowait of only 10%

From my point of view 10% can be quite a lot taken into account that it is for all processes on the machine. As there is only one "qmgr" but many "smtpd" it is possible that qmgr is limited by I/O on your machine. For possible band-aid have a look at in_flow_delay. Also check that mail is leaving fast, otherwise the active queue will max-out by default at 20000 mails.

From the qshape readme
http://www.postfix.com/QSHAPE_README.html
"If the problem is I/O starvation, consider striping the queue over more
disks"

Does that mean I can have them over different partitions on different
disks. I had initially assumed all the postfix spool  must be on the
same partition

From my understanding the spool must be on the same partition. The "different disks" is meant to be RAID 0/1/10 whatever or a seperate disk for the spool.

Regards

Andreas