Phil Howard wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 15:11, Joe <j...@tmsusa.com> wrote:
>

>> I currently run a number of production mail servers on ubuntu LTS and
>> have never seen any of the problems you're struggling with.
>>

> Are you using the packaged version of Postfix, or the source you
> compile yourself?

I almost never install tarballs, but prefer to take the time to find or
make a deb package if at all possible, because of the manageability
added by the packaging system.

The stock postfix package included with ubuntu has worked well for me,
no surprises, no problems, either with the postfix 2.5.1 package that
came with ubuntu 8.04, or the postfix 2.7.0 package that came with
ubuntu 10.04.

It shouldn't be too much trouble to build a package of say 2.7.0 from
10.04, for installation in a 8.04 system. There are also repositories
with ready-to-install, newer versions  of postfix, if you need  them.

BTW it's best to use one of the currently supported LTS server versions
which I mentioned above, rather than a release like 9.10.

Joe