On Sat, Sep 04, 2010 at 03:28:28PM +0200, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> * Wietse Venema <wie...@porcupine.org>:
>
> > That is a Berkeley DB mis-feature.
> > Newer Postfix snapshots ignore that error.
>
> I'm still seeing it with postfix-2.8-20100830:
>
> Sep  1 05:14:38 mail postfix/postscreen[17745]: close database
> /var/lib/postfix/ps_cache.db: No such file or directory

As expected. Notice that this message is informational, not a warning
or an error:

    /*
     * With some Berkeley DB implementations, close fails with a bogus ENOENT
     * error, while it reports no errors with put+sync, no errors with
     * del+sync, and no errors with the sync operation just before this
     * comment. This happens in programs that never fork and that never share
     * the database with other processes. The bogus close error has been
     * reported for programs that use the first/next iterator. Instead of
     * making Postfix look bad because it reports errors that other programs
     * ignore, I'm going to report the bogus error as a non-error.
     */
    if (DICT_DB_CLOSE(dict_db->db) < 0)
        msg_info("close database %s: %m", dict_db->dict.name);

Not reporting the anomaly at all may mask real problems in the future.

--
        Viktor.