On 9/20/2010 3:29 PM, bper wrote:

Hello,

I have set up a postfix-dovecot server with smtp-auth using sasl by
following this link:
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/postfix.html

It seems to be working OK. The only thing is that when I view my logs, I see
a lot of 'relaying denied', 'noqueue reject', 'too many errors after rcpt',
and 'disconnect' messages from a lot of unknown domain names and ip
addresses.

These are normal messages indicating that postfix is working correctly.

I'm hoping that this means that the server is secure and doing its job
bouncing mail from unauthorized requests.

*** Is that true?

quickie definitions:

bounce - accept mail and return it to the (likely forged) sender. BAD.

reject - unwanted mail is not accepted. Notification of legit senders is the responsibility of the sender's mail server. GOOD.

Your postfix is apparently doing its job rejecting unwanted mail.

For further analysis, show your "postconf -n" and unaltered log entries you don't understand.

-- Noel Jones

Even if it was true, it has to be slowing down the server receiving so many
unauthorized requests.

*** Is there a way to avoid this or is this just a function of life in the
world of email spam? Would a spam filter like Spamassasin help this type of
issue?

Thanks!